Monday, October 18, 2010

So fall is officially here in Athens. Rain has become a daily visitor and overcast skies are overstaying their welcome. Randomly 80 degree days will pop up but in general it is rainy season, at least I am convinced it is here and I am concerned if this is not it.....

Dan came to visit this past week! It worked out very well even though I had class because I get out at 1:20 so while I was in class Dan was overcoming jetlag and slept. I made him a traditional greek salad and we bought roasted greek chicken for our his first meal in greece. I have learned to make a pretty mean greek salad by now.

We went to a Greek soccer match Tuesday night which was exciting since I had been wanting to attend one and Dan really enjoys soccer. It was a qualifier match for the Eurocup 2012. Greece beat Israel 2:1. The game was not as rowdy or out of control as I thought it might be but spirited Greeks decked out in flags, blue and white facepaint, and Greek jerseys surrounded us. Up front a group of older men, who we presumed has season tickets, gathered with their instruments and were the unofficial cheer starters for our side of the stadium. European futbol is such a passionate sport and the roar of the cheers is enough to give an outsider goosebumps because nothing like this can be experience at sporting events in the US, or at least I have yet to experience anything like this.

Wednesday we went to the 2004 Olympic stadium. Unless you are only interested in seeing the pool, which we kind of were, then going is a bit of let down. Nothing was open and it was an expansive metal wasteland. It was beautiful but eerily empty. It was as if it were abandoned. We did manage to find life at the aquatic center, however. Swim lessons were in full swing and in the outdoor pool a swim team full of teenagers were in the midst of a practice. It was good to see people swimming even though I myself have not done so in a long long time. But hey, Greece wont let me. Anyways, we were pumped to see the spot where Michael Phelps had his glorious swims in 2004.


No comments:

Post a Comment