Thursday, September 30, 2010

Okay, New POST! I am trying to be better about this.

So, about Crete. We went to Crete last Monday for a 5 day learning excursion. The trip was mainly for students taking archeology and classes on ancient art and monuments. I, like 18 other kids, am not enrolled in a single class that falls under any of these categories and therefore got to spend the week learning basic Cretan history and then vacationing. Bus D was home to me and the 18 other kids who had no academic reason to be in Crete and thus were the reject bus. We were, however, given an awesome history professor who tried his best to make our experience worth while. Each day we set out and saw different archeological museums, mosques left over from Turkish occupation and monasteries. We went to Knossos, or the home of the Menotaur and the labyrinth in which he was kept. We also visited seaside fortresses and one castle. Our professor explained each site within its historical context and considering we knew nothing about Cretan history and the artifacts we were about to see, we learned a lot. We finished touring and learning by 2 each day and then were left to explore the city for the rest of the day. Each day we were in a different Cretan city so there was always something to do or find.

One day we went to the beach right near our hotel and played in the massive waves all afternoon. It is so hard to believe that we are in school some days. The final day of the trip was the best; we met up with other groups from our program and took a hike down into a valley with a cove. The beach was made entirely of rocks and the hike down was incredibly steep and so much fun. The view was spectacular and even though it rained on us for a lot of the hike, the sun came out at the end and warmed us up as we hiked back up. Hiking in Greece was one of the most amazing experiences I have had so far and it was really nice to take a break from ancient pots and other artifacts :)


This week has been the most academically challenging so far. WHat?!?! you have to work while you are abroad?! Apparently. This week I had an exam, a paper due and a presentation. Its okay though because my Greek class is proving to be more and more helpful every day. Today our crazy teacher, Marientta, made us leave the classroom and go around outside and ask strangers if they knew where things were, such as a hotel, a bus stop, a baker, etc. Haha it was so hilarious and the older people who we asked absolutely loved us.

Greek culture proves to be a challenge for me every day. Today I found out that all of the medical documents my mom has been working hard to gather and send to me so that I can swim are completely useless in Greece. In Greece, you need GREEK doctors to sign you off on a variety of absolutely superfluous categories. So, until I see a Greek cardiologist, gynecologist, dermatologist etc, I cannot swim. At least the Olympic stadium is steps from my apartment so I can run whenever I want, without having had Greek doctors probe me.

Things I dont like about Greece:

The fact that NOTHING but pastry shops are open on Sunday (super helpful for a girl allergic to gluten)
the fact that you cant flush toilet paper down the toilet
the siesta hours from 2-6 that make running errands impossible
the fact that the post office closes at 2 every single day and isnt open on weekends
the drivers that have the right of way ALL THE TIME
the lack of taking turns in any public area
the fact that greek man of any age (even 70) will look at you blatantly in front of their wives
the lack of workout and health culture here meaning that adequate gyms are nonexistent


Things I love about Athens
the price of groceries
the new gluten free store i found called biological treasures (hahah but in greek....)
siesta time....because it gives me reason to accomplish nothing
running on the olympic stadium while watching the sun set near the acropolis
feta cheese
fresh fruit and vegetables everywhere you go
the families I have gotten to know who own the shops that I frequent in my neighborhood
my roommates in my apartment
the perpetual sunshine and tanktop friendly weather in late september
How I can walk everywhere
the stray animals who are the community pets


No comments:

Post a Comment