Friday, September 3, 2010

Farmers' Market fridays!

On Fridays there are markets for the people, meaning that fresh produce, flowers, clothes, household items, you name it, is sold at ridiculously low prices. It goes on for 4 blocks. Did I mention it's dirt cheap? It is pretty wonderful and I got to use some of my Greek!

Speaking of my Greek.....it is coming along..kinda. Greek class is every day and it has 10 kids in it. My professor speaks only a little English and is this amazing older Greek woman who is so animated, loud and enthusiastic. We rush through things as she yells Greek at us, but by the end of the first class we were reading some words. Greek is so confusing and sometimes my mouth simply cannot make the sounds, but it is really also quite fun. It's a language of intense emotion, lots of hand movements and loud annunciation. Reading is like figuring out a puzzle and I leave each class thoroughly mentally exhausted but so excited to use it. Last night we wandered around trying to read as many signs as we could. It is still all Greek to me but at least now I am starting to understand it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment