Wednesday, September 29, 2010

sorry I am failing at my blog!!


So since September 12 I have been to both Santorini and Crete. Santorini was a trip for fun with friends while my trip to Crete was a program trip with the whole program. We landed in Fira, a port in Santorini on Friday, September 17th. The boat trip was 5 hours from Pireaus using the fast ferry. The slow ferry would have taken us 8 hours. By beginning in Fira I became mildly disappointed in what Santorini had to offer. The town was extremely focused on Tourism and signs in English exclaiming "CREPES, WAFFLES, ATVS!, BOAT TRIPS, ICE CREAM, etc" lined the streets. We took advantage of the tourist culture, however, and booked decent rooms for only 20 euro a night. We also booked a 20 euro 8 hour boat tour for the next day that included a volcanic hike, swim in natural hot springs, lunch on a remote island and finally, the chance to get off in Oia, Santorini's gem. Oia completely changed my mind about Santorini. Oia was literally taken out of Mama Mia and Sisterhood of the traveling pants. It was not touristy, but in fact it was paradise. Paradise in the sense that I got to ride a donkey up the mountain into the town! This may be the absolute highlight of my Grecian experience thus far. The steps are so steep and the donkeys are so sweet and funny looking. The ride is extremely unstable and a bit disgusting due to the fact that the donkeys really dont seem to mind going to the bathroom as they traverse the rocks. Despite this, the view as the donkeys climbed was incredible and I have decided that traveling by donkey is by far the most superior way to travel.

We then stayed in Oia long enough to watch the sunset. Oia's sunsets are apparently legendary and I would have to agree with this statement.

Once we got back to Fira after the spectacular showcase of colors by the sun's departure, we went out to taverna and checked out the Santorini clubs. Santorini's high season was over by now so the night scene was not what it usually is, but I can only imagine what that must be like. the five of use found a spot looking out on the sea from a high point in the town and looked at the stars as the music from the discotecas filled the air. The moon illuminated the night and it was the perfect way to end our Santorini excursion. I think I am going back with Dan, so I absolutely cannot wait.





No comments:

Post a Comment